Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Monday, May 01, 2006

Curious Chocolate Cake

Three-hole chocolate cake is moist, chocolate-y and so easy I can make it while thinking of other things and, for me, that's a plus! The cake comes from an old recipe and is called by dozens of different names depending on where you are and with whom you're speaking.

If you haven't tried it, here is the recipe I use.

1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
6 tablespoons salad oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cold water
Combine dry ingredients in an ungreased 9-inch square pan. Make three holes and measure oil into one, vinegar into the second and vanilla into the third. Pour cold water over all. Mix with rubber spatula until blended - do not beat. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with a pat of butter if you're impatient. Otherwise:

Frosting
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1-oz square unsweetened chocolate, grated
dash of salt
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Mix sugar and cornstarch, add chocolate, salt. Add water, cook until mixture thickens. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Spread while hot on 3-hole cake. Aaaaaah.

My grandchildren call this comfort food! And I'm inclined to agree. Matter of fact, I'm outa here.

1 comment:

Naturegirl said...

I have printed out this cake recipe and will compare to one I made for my chidren way back in the 70's!! I remember the three holes and the vinegar!! Will bake and compare the recipe w/ mine! What a hoot!